William H. “Bingy” Moore, 79, of Baltimore, Md., passed away Monday morning, August 20. Moore, who was born on April 8, 1933, was a longtime ruling elder at Valley Presbyterian Church (Chesapeake Presbytery). He is survived by wife Marion, two children, and several grandchildren. A graduate of the Naval Academy and owner of Moore Security, Inc., Moore poured himself into his family, friends, and church community.

“He loved people. He loved his church. He was a servant, somebody I could call at a moment’s notice,” said his pastor Chris Donnelly.

In addition to his commitment to Valley Presbyterian, Moore served in various roles in Delmarva, Potomac, and Chesapeake presbyteries, as well as more than a decade on the PCA’s Administrative Committee, including two years as chairman.

Moore’s former pastor Tom Osterhaus described him this way: “As an adult convert to the Lord he rapidly grew into a strong disciple of Jesus Christ and continue[d] to be a student of God’s Word and a true worshiper of Christ.”

The viewing will be Monday August 27, at Ruck Towson Funeral Home, 1050 York Road, from 2 – 4 p.m., and  from 7 – 9 p.m. A memorial service will be held on Wednesday, August 29, at 11 a.m. at Valley Presbyterian Church, 2200 West Joppa Rd., Lutherville, Md.

For information, contact Valley Presbyterian, 410-828-6234.

8 Responses to William H. “Bingy” Moore, Home with the Lord

1. Bill Fox says:

Bingy and I enjoyed many years together on the AC. He was a friend, sound and solid counselor, true servant… and a lot of fun. Our love and prayers go out to Marion. I look forward to seeing him again in heaven and recounting the “old war stories.” Bill Fox

2. Bryan Chapell says:

Some of us serve the church due to our commitment and employment; Bingy served out of commitment and enjoyment. Every generation is blessed and the church is built by such men who find joy in safeguarding the mission and teaching of Christ’s Bride. Bingy did so with admirable courage and remarkable zest. It was a joy to work with him. I will miss him, as will the PCA.

3. Roy Taylor says:

It was a privilege to serve with Bingy on the Administrative Committee as fellow members for serveral years. Bingy persuaded me to be nominated for Stated Clerk. It was a joy to serve under his leadership when he was AC chairman. He was a faithful Christian, a friend, and a churchman who took his responsibilities seriously but did not take himself too seriously. I appreciated both his wisdom and his wit.

4. Mark Rowden says:

Every year it was my pleasure to meet up with Bingy and his good bud, George at GA. Some of the lunches and dinners I spent with the two of them and a few others absolutely left me in tears from laughter. My wife and kids were also enthralled with him when I introduced them to him at GA in Pittsburgh. I don’t think my son will ever forget Bingy’s corny antics at dinner that night. Afterward, he had the audacity to send me a thank you note for “including him with our family.” It was OUR privilege to be with him… and now our loss until we meet with him again in heaven. Hopefully by the time I get there he and Ross Cook will be done pounding their naval academy rings.

5. Philip Douglass says:

In the old Mid-Atlantic Presbytery of the PCA back in the late 70’s and early 80’s, Bingy was a great supporter of her efforts to reach the lost and plant Christ-centered, grace-oriented churches. Those of us present during those early years remember how excited Bingy would become at Presbytery reports of the MNA Committee proclaiming that another PCA church had been planted even though he was equally enthusiastic in requiring us to “cross every ‘t’ and dot every ‘i'” so that proper procedure was followed. When we are reunited with Bingy in heaven, it will be fun revisiting those beginning years once again.

6. Michael Rogers says:

I was Bingy’s pastor at Valley Presbyterian for six years, 1988-94. Like my own father, he was an adult convert in mid-lifeand a thoroughly Christ-centered man. He loved to serve the church and always brought wisdom and balance to all session deliberations. His love of jokes, puns and general fun was legendary. When interviewing me as a candidate for pastor at Valley he threw in this question before the rest of the search committee: “Tell us all you know about the hypostatic union…” His nickname came from his father, who first viewed him as a red-faced newborn and pronounced, “He looks like he’s been out on a binge!” Well done, good anf faithful servant.

7. Michael Milton says:

Bingy Moore was a warm, winsome, wise, and joyful follower of the Lord. His wisdom and his joy flowed from the reality of the risen Christ in his life. I saw the life of Christ in my friend as I served with him for many years on the Administrative Committee of the PCA. I treasure those times with this father in the Lord. He has left a legacy of faith as he has now embraced the object of his faith, the One he served so well and worships so fully: our Lord Jesus Christ. May his family be comforted by the Holy Spirit and encouraged in a life well lived.

8. David Coffin says:

I served under Bingy’s leadership on Delmarva’s Credentials Committee for many years. I was instructed and inspired by his insistence that we maintain the highest standards for a candidate’s sense of call, character, competence and orthodoxy, while at the same time doing all we could to help him succeed. Bingy led in a radical revision of our examination process: extensive written exams were developed to provide a comprehensive basis for orals—replacing our inadequate and exhausting focus on orals alone. Bingy’s labor was an expression of love for our Lord’s Word preached, and has served not only Delmarva and its successors, but a host of other presbyteries. It was a delight to labor with Bingy; I will miss him, but we will meet again!