Overture Calls for Response to Gay Agenda

In response to an increasingly aggressive homosexual agenda, Westminster Presbytery has proposed an overture that reaffirms the PCA’s position on homosexuality. The overture also issues a call to church leaders to petition the government to place restrictions on those who advance the agenda.

A reaffirmation of the PCA’s position affirms that homosexuality is sin, requires churches to call a practicing homosexual person to repentance, and denies church office and membership to those who practice homosexuality.

The overture also charges church leaders to petition local government leaders to deny those who “practice, advocate, or condone” homosexuality the right to become schoolteachers, and to petition local, state, and federal government leaders to “cease and desist” from any legislation that legalizes gay marriage.

“Because of the rise in seeking to advance the homosexual agenda, our chaplains are under renewed pressure to perform wedding services for same-sex couples, our military chapels are being desecrated with such services being performed, and businesses are being persecuted for not providing consumer services for such activities, etc. Therefore we feel we need as a denomination to reaffirm our position, and to add the emphasis of our opposition … to the concept of same-sex marriages, to give our chaplains and Christian business leaders added support to stand against this behavior for conscience’ sake,” explained Daniel Foreman, speaking on behalf of Westminster Presbytery.

19 Responses to Overture Calls for Response to Gay Agenda

1. Phillip Shroyer says:

Fortitude a prerequisite to implementation.

2. John Aldrich says:

Why stop with homosexuality? Why doesn’t the overture also target the sins of adultery, idolatry, drunkenness and greed? Quit cherry picking you sins of preference to target. Rather, let’s start loving our neighbor. Let each chaplain, each business owner and each Christ-follower be individually constrained by the love and mercy of Christ to graciously, respectfully share from scripture why they cannot do such-and-such, while at the same time inviting homosexuals into their lives and churches, that they might be won to Christ. Does anyone care how such an overture will be perceived by the homosexual community? The PCA doesn’t need to reaffirm it’s position on homosexuality. It needs to reaffirm it’s position on loving our neighbor.

• Tre Ripley says:

John, There is a beginning of a mirroring of the culture by the church, and by some PCA members to view monogamous homosexual relationships as God pleasing, but as far as I know this is not true of the above listed sins.

Do you know of a PCA church which may need to be admonished for admitting into membership unrepentant self identifying adulterers, idolaters, drunkards and greedy?

• Stephen Moss says:

I agree completely. Our position on homosexuality is clear. What is not clear is how we as believers are to follow Christ in loving those who are gay or who struggle with same-sex attraction. This overture’s answer to that question seems to more political action rather than showing the love and compassion of Christ. Correct me if I’m wrong here. If we are to follow the example of Christ, are we not to be more concerned about individuals than we are about government policies? I do believe our freedoms should be protected, but I don’t know that launching an offensive is the Christlike way to do that. Again…correct me if I’m wrong.

• ELVIS Nixon says:

“U.S. District Judge Robert J. Shelby, an Obama appointee, struck down Utah’s state constitutional marriage protection amendment and other laws defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman. Utah has the largest percentage of Mormons in the United States. The U.S. Supreme Court issued a stay on Shelby’s order until the case is decided. Governor Gary Herbert and new state Attorney General Sean Reyes announced that Utah will not recognize gay “marriages” contracted under that judge’s order until the case is fully appealed. However, last Friday the Obama administration said the federal government would recognize those unions as bona fide marriages in federal taxes and benefits programs.”
        PCA better wake up!

• Kevin Satcher says:

I have been contemplating whether or not specific written formal documentation is needed in order to fight on secular legal grounds any efforts by the secular courts to interfere in church courts or pulpits on this issue. I suspect this issue is going to end up right in the church’s lap on legal grounds soon enough. What recourse would there be if we come to a point where secular courts are making judgements on Church courts on this new “civil right”?I hope the Overseers of the Church will give it much prayer and thought and come to a conclusion irrespective of the tidal wave of the popular secular culture. I’m glad someone is at least thinking about it.

3. Al Henderson, RE says:

Thank you for having the courage to face some knee-jerk public backlash. This seems eminently appropriate, as long as we remember it’s not the only sin & we become Johnny-one-notes. May God bless this effort!

4. TE Dr. Thomas K. Johnson says:

It would be valuable for our public statements to be carefully balanced, given a history of Christians being perceived (perhaps without basis) to be one-sided extremists or hateful. This includes striving for a Godly balance of loving the sinner while recognizing the sin, placing particular sins within the context of the many sins, and meeting the need for an account of why one sin is more heinous than another. If homosexuality is more serious than consumerism or serial-polygamy, an explanation would be desirable, perhaps with mention of the way Christians have often said sins of the spirit are worse than sins of the flesh.
    Our lawyers should take up the issue of the freedom of religious speech, especially for our members serving in…

• Katie Maddox says:

In this discussion, please let us be assiduously careful to articulate the distinction between unrepentant, flagrant homosexual practice and “homosexuality”. I know that I myself have many inclinations and thoughts which, if acted upon, would constitute heinous sins, which if confessed and repented of would be forgiven by God through the blood of Christ, after which I would hope to be reconciled to my brethren and encouraged to serve Christ faithfully.

5. Stephen Moss says:

I agree completely. Our position on homosexuality is clear. What is not clear is how we in the PCA are going to follow Christ in loving those who are gay or who struggle with same-sex attraction. This overture’s answer to that question seems to more political action rather than showing the love and compassion of Christ. Correct me if I’m wrong here. If we are to follow the example of Christ, are we not to be more concerned about individuals than we are about government policies? I do believe our freedoms should be protected, but I don’t know that launching an offensive is the Christlike way to do that. Again…correct me if I’m wrong.

6. guy webster says:

The PCA need not swing at every pitch that the world throws. Our position is clear and well-stated already.

7. Mark Murphy says:

Stephen, You are correct. When we primarily view homosexuality as an evil “agenda” that can be opposed and fought politically, rather than an individual sin struggle playing out in a larger life story, we, as churches and denominations, risk being perceived as homophobes who are more interested in opposing agendas than ministering to sin-affected souls. Why do individuals get involved in certain forms of sexual behavior and how do we, as churches, best help them? That is the hard question we should be asking. By comparison, the “Just say No” approach to homosexuality is knee-jerk facility that does not convey compassion.

8. John Freeman says:

I’ve yet to meet a sinner who didn’t have an agenda. . . including myself! It’s my nature to take care of me, force my will over others and seek to win-over everyone to my side —- at least a couple of times a day. That’s why I, as well as gays and lesbians, need the gospel in order to be transformed. My heart breaks over men and women in our own denomination who struggle in silence, our sons and daughters pursuing homosexuality, and the increasing numbers of our own PCA young and middle adults, aged 15-35, who see nothing wrong with it. We’re failing to model grace, show mercy, speak truth—and educate our people, at all ages, Biblically. John Freeman, President, Harvest USA

• Steve Cavallaro says:

Well said, John. We should want any public statement to convey the grace we need to show the people next to us so they too can be taught by the grace of God to say ‘no’ to unrighteousness just as those of us who don’t struggle with this particular sin should too.

9. Mike Khandjian says:

I can’t think of a single biblical example as to why we would do this – not one. I can find a whole laundry list of condemnations given towards the Church for sin, hypocrisy, dead Orthodoxy and immoral behavior – within the Church – but I can’t find where we would imperil our witness to a lost world by denouncing one sin. Are we so threatened that we would announce that our concern is more with a moral code that can’t save, than with the sweet message that God has come and is making everything new in Jesus? Friends, a lot of whores will go to heaven and a lot of virgins will go to hell. Let’s not make the gospel a confusing message. Jesus died. He arose. He is coming again. He is making all things new. Amen.

10. Mark Rowden says:

If Westminster Presbytery brings this overture for the purpose of bringing the issue to the GA’s consciousness, then judging by this thread, I’d say they’ve already succeeded. If they hope for this overture to have any chance of passage, I’d say the chances are slim and none. In our entire history I’ve never seen the Overtures Committee recommend, or the GA pass any measure that asked us to “reaffirm” our standards. We affirm our standards… that’s why we call them standards.

11. Alan Orsborn says:

…The point being, the resolution that is needed is one that calls on the PCA to stand with military personnel preserving their consciences, whether it be performing a same-sex wedding, or serving in support of a regime that institutionalizes child molestation. If your response to the one is “that is what they signed up for, to follow orders,” it is the same for the other.